Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Frequently Asked Questions About Concurrent Enrollment

The following questions and answers will provide students with more information about Boise State University’s Concurrent Enrollment program.


Concurrent Enrollment FAQs

What is Concurrent Enrollment/Dual Credit?

Dual Credit is the umbrella term used in Idaho to identify all advanced opportunities available to high school students to earn college credit, such as International Baccalaureate (IB), Advanced Placement College Board (AP), Tech Prep, and Concurrent Enrollment.

The Boise State Concurrent Enrollment Program provides college-credit bearing courses taught to high school students by university approved high school instructors. Students and instructors use Boise State curriculum, texts, and grading scales. Classes are offered during the high school’s calendar.

The “On-Campus” option allows high school students, who are 16 years old, to take classes on the Boise State campus or online. Students pay full fees and go by the University’s calendar.

How do I register for Concurrent Enrollment courses?

Visit our How to Register page for details on how to register and enroll in Boise State Concurrent Enrollment courses at your high school.

For information on how to apply and enroll in on-campus classes, visit our On-Campus Option page.

How do I make a payment online?

You can pay fees online by credit card once your registration is processed.

To pay by credit card online, log into your myBoiseState account after you receive your admission letter. Visit the Paying Your Fees web page in Student Financial Services for details on how to pay via your myBoiseState account.

How do I access myBoiseState?

Once your application has been processed, you will receive an email containing your Boise State ID number and username. You will need these two pieces of information to set up and access myBoiseState, and to set up your Boise State email account. New students will also receive this information by mail in an admissions letter from the Boise State Admissions Office.

For details on how to set up and access your myBoiseState account, visit our Accessing myBoiseState web page.

What if I change my mind after registering for Concurrent Enrollment?

To drop a concurrent enrollment course, you must contact a Concurrent Enrollment staff member. Please email your name, Boise State ID number, school, instructor, course name and the reason you would like to drop the course. For questions, please call (208) 426-3750.

If the course is dropped prior to the term drop deadline, course fees will be refunded (if paid by student) and there will be no impact on your transcript.

See Important Dates and Deadlines for Students for withdrawal deadlines for the current semester.

For courses dropped AFTER the drop deadline, students will not receive a refund and will have a “W” recorded on their official Boise State transcript. Receiving a W on a transcript OR failing a course will affect future eligibility to receive state Fast Forward funding for dual credit courses. If a student fails to earn credit for any course or examination for which the department of education has paid a reimbursement, the student must pay for and successfully earn credit for one such course or examination before eligibility is re-instated.

Please remember that high school and collegiate registrations are separate. Failure to notify the Concurrent Enrollment coordinator of your wish to drop a college course will mean you will remain registered at the university for the course. Should you not complete the course, a failing grade will be posted to your official transcript. A failing grade will also have an impact on Fast Forward funding. After dropping a course for college credit you may still remain in the class for regular high school credit.

Are Concurrent Enrollment credits transferable to other colleges and universities?

Dual credit courses are accepted by all Idaho institutions of higher education and most accredited institutions outside the state. Idaho’s colleges/universities are accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.

Students are strongly encouraged to consult with the institution of their choice regarding the transferability of credits earned.

The Transfer Evaluation System (TES) is a tool to estimate how courses will transfer between institutions. If you plan to attend Boise State, visit our Transfer Evaluation System (TES) to determine how your dual credit courses from other institutions will transfer to Boise State. You can also see how your Boise State courses will transfer to other institutions in and out of state.

The TES is updated regularly. If you do not see the school or course you are looking for, it may not be in the database yet. Please contact the Registrar’s Office to check if the course will transfer.

If you plan to attend an Idaho public postsecondary institution, you can also visit the Idaho CourseTransfer website to see how your courses will transfer.

For more information on Transfer Credit Equivalency, and transfer credit basics, visit the Transfer Credit Basics page at the Boise State Registrar’s website.

What are the differences between the Concurrent Enrollment Program and the Advanced Placement Program (AP)?

Boise State’s Concurrent Enrollment Program refers to classes offered to high school students for both high school and Boise State credit. Students participating in concurrent enrollment classes receive college credit for specific courses offered at their high school.

Concurrent Enrollment provides the student with a Boise State transcript with an actual letter grade for the course based on work completed during the duration of the class. Students can request that their transcript be sent the college or university of their choice. Credits are transferable.

The Advanced Placement Program provides college credit based on performance on a cumulative exam administered in May. For exam scores of 3, 4 or 5 some universities award credit or waive a specific course. For some courses with labs, the lecture portion of the course is all a college can accept. For AP courses, no course grade or transcript is generated.

Once the course is completed, students may choose to either have their Boise State transcript transferred, or may request that AP test scores be sent to their chosen college. Students attending Boise State University after graduating will already have the Concurrent Enrollment course listed on their transcript.

Do Concurrent Enrollment students qualify for federal financial aid?

Concurrent Enrollment students do not qualify for financial aid. To qualify for federal grants and loans, the federal government requires students to have received a high school diploma or its equivalent.

If I want to attend Boise State after graduating from high school, what do I need to do?

Concurrent Enrollment students interested in attending Boise State after high school graduation will need to submit an Undergraduate Application to the admissions office with your official ACT or SAT Test scores and high school transcript. There is a one-time, nonrefundable $50 application fee.

Students can apply online by going to and clicking on the “Undergraduate Applications” button.

For more information about application deadlines and to schedule a campus tour, visit the website.

What is FERPA and the Release of Information form?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also known as the Buckley Amendment or FERPA) is a federal law that limits the amount of information that can be released about students without their specific written permission.

If a parent or guardian would like access to a Concurrent Enrollment student’s Student Account and Financial Records, Student Education records, or Admission records, the student must give their written consent by downloading and completing the Release of Information Form. Mail or deliver it to Concurrent Enrollment at 220 E. Parkcenter Blvd., Boise, ID 83706-3940.

If I want a receipt to confirm my student account balance, where I can get one?

An official receipt of student account balances and fees paid by term can be obtained by accessing a Term Summary Report through your myBoiseState account. For instructions about how to create and print a report for your records, view the Term Summary Report Instructions. (PDF)


Contact Us

Contact us for more information about Boise State Concurrent Enrollment.

Concurrent Enrollment Facebook Link