Approving New Instructors
Applicants for Concurrent Enrollment program (CEP) instructor positions must meet the same qualifications as an adjunct instructor teaching the course on campus. After reviewing the qualifications to teach a course, potential instructors should express their interest in working with the CEP by submitting application materials to a staff member. The CEP will forward applications to the appropriate department to initiate the approval process.
Faculty Liaisons review and approve new applications submitted by instructors who want to teach a concurrent enrollment class to ensure each class reflects the University and academic department’s pedagogical, theoretical and philosophical orientation. The approval process includes:
- New instructor application packets consisting of a cover letter, resume, transcripts and course syllabi are submitted for review.
- Faculty Liaisons are expected to review the application packet, and if the instructor and course meet the qualifications of the CEP, the Faculty Liaison should schedule a one-on-one meeting with the candidate to review their qualifications and orient them to the course.
- Once that process is complete (see below for details), the Faculty Liaison will approve the applicant using the “Checklist for New Concurrent Enrollment Instructors” form. A $500 stipend is provided for all instructor reviews regardless of the outcome.
Orientation for New Instructors
Faculty Liaisons will document how they orient the new instructors to the University’s and/or academic department’s pedagogical, theoretical and philosophical teachings, including:
- Provide orientation on course curriculum, assessment criteria and course philosophy to the instructor.
- Supply instructors with desk copies of current textbooks when requested.
- Assist instructors/school districts in selecting department approved textbooks.
- Provide instructors with current sample syllabi, sample exams and other course materials on an annual basis.
The “Checklist for New Concurrent Enrollment Instructors” form should be used by the Faculty Liaison as a guide for this orientation process, and both the Faculty Liaison and the applicant are required to confirm that all steps of the orientation process have been conducted and that the applicant has the materials necessary to teach the course in alignment with the university course. The completed and signed form should be submitted to the CEP for final approval of the instructor.
New Instructor Accreditation Standards
The processes and practices of approving and orienting new concurrent enrollment instructors at Boise State are aligned with the following NACEP Accreditation Standards:
- Faculty 1 (F1): All concurrent enrollment instructors are approved by the appropriate college/university academic leadership and must meet the minimum qualifications for instructors teaching the course on campus.
- Faculty 2 (F2): Faculty Liaisons at the college/university provide all new concurrent enrollment instructors with course-specific training in course philosophy, curriculum, pedagogy and assessment prior to the instructor teaching the course.
- Faculty 4 (F4): The CEP ensures instructors are informed of and adhere to program policies and procedures.
- Assessment 1 (A1): The college/university ensures concurrent enrollment students’ proficiency of learning outcomes is measured using comparable grading standards and assessment methods to on campus sections.
Contact us for more information about Boise State Concurrent Enrollment.