Sophomore Start – A Concurrent Enrollment Option for
High School Students Planning to Attend Boise State University
Boise State’s Sophomore Start option is designed to provide high school students taking concurrent enrollment courses the opportunity to achieve a significant college milestone prior to high school graduation. Sophomore Start helps motivated students map the connection between their current academic performance and future life goals.
The Sophomore Start Option
Boise State’s Concurrent Enrollment program provides high school students the opportunity to earn college credits while still in high school. Students can enroll in just one course, or choose the Sophomore Start option to pursue a major college benchmark by completing their college freshman year before graduating high school.
- Personalized degree planning puts students on track to achieve a major college milestone by completing 30 college-level credits while still in high school and enrolling at Boise State as a sophomore once graduating from high school.
- Students will work with a Concurrent Enrollment advisor to create a degree plan based their personal goals and degree interests, designed to guide them in making a seamless transition to college.
- After the completion and approval of a Sophomore Start degree plan, participating students are eligible to take reduced-cost college summer courses on campus for the Sophomore Start rate of $65 per credit (additional costs and fees may apply, including textbooks, online fees, and lab fees).
- Credits eligible for the Sophomore Start option include transferable concurrent enrollment/dual credit courses offered from Boise State and other colleges, transfer courses, Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests.
Who Can Participate In Sophomore Start?
To participate in Boise State’s Concurrent Enrollment Sophomore Start option, students must meet the following criteria:
- Plan to attend Boise State University upon high school graduation
- Be a freshman, sophomore or junior in high school (juniors must be enrolled in or have completed a minimum of 9 college-level credits)
- Attend Nampa High, Skyview High, Columbia High, Centennial High, Eagle High, Meridian High, Mountain View High or Rocky Mountain High
- Have signed permission of a parent or guardian
- Have a goal to complete a minimum of 30 college credits while still in high school
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
Sophomore Start Option Requirements
Once a student decides to participate in the Sophomore Start option, and meets eligibility criteria, they must complete the following requirements:
- Complete an agreement of participation and degree plan.
- Be admitted and actively enrolled in dual credit or on-campus courses throughout their participation in the option.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and remain in good academic standing.
- Meet at least once each academic year with a Boise State Concurrent Enrollment advisor to develop and maintain a personalized degree plan consisting of courses that best match their college goals. Only students with an advisor-approved degree plan are eligible to take Boise State summer classes at the reduced Sophomore Start rate of $75 per credit.