Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Taking K-12 Teacher Professional Development Courses

young students

There is No More Immediate Return on Investment Than Increasing One’s Skills as a K-12 Educator

The following questions and answers about Boise State’s K-12 Professional Development program will help you get started today.

FAQs – Learn how you can earn professional development credits and advance your career in K-12 education

What are professional development credits?

These credits are graduate-level credits and are offered at a reduced rate (typically $60 per credit) to teachers, school counselors/social workers and school administrators for the purpose of recertification or salary increases. Professional development credits cannot be used to satisfy degree requirements.

Are these credits eligible for financial aid or payment plans?

No. Because the fees for these credits are already drastically reduced, no financial aid is available and fees are due in total as soon as enrollment is completed.

How do I get a transcript to show the credits that I’ve completed? Is there a fee?

While Boise State University does not automatically send a transcript on your behalf, requesting one is a simple process. Go to our transcript request page and submit the form available there after your course has ended. Be sure to review the directions and general information on your screen before launching the actual form. You are entitled to one free transcript per term in which you earned professional development credits through Boise State.

I missed the credit registration deadline for my course. What can I do now?

Registration deadlines are very firm, since failure to adhere to them means holding enrollments and grades for teachers who registered on time. If there were extenuating circumstances that prevented you from completing your registration on time, you may complete Boise State University’s academic appeals process by completing and submitting a written appeal.  Appeals will only be accepted for courses offered within the last 12 months.

For instructions on completing this process, please contact the program coordinator at (208) 426-3713 or by email at

Where can I find information about upcoming opportunities to earn professional development credit?

The majority of professional development offerings are coordinated through Idaho school districts. When searching for upcoming courses and workshops, it’s always best to check with your district first before exploring other options.

Professional Development opportunities you can find right here are:

  • Visit our District Offerings page to view upcoming options if your district has partnered with Boise State to set up a district page.
  • Visit our Other Opportunities page being coordinated by a number of unique educational partners (both online and in-person), if you want to check out a number of unique educational partners.

Regardless of the source, once taking a course certified through the University for PD credit, you will be provided with instructions to register for credit.

I’m enrolled in a professional development certified course. How do I register for credit?

You will receive credit registration instructions from the instructor/coordinator of the course containing a registration link. This link will remain open until the date specified in the email, and provides a simple one-stop register-and-pay process for you to complete.

Who can I contact with additional questions or technical issues?

Extended Studies Central Registration
Mon.-Thurs., 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m., Fri. 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
(208) 426-1709

Jennifer Weddel, K-12 Professional Development Manager
(208) 426-3713

Contact Us For More Information About K-12 Teacher Professional Development

K-12 Professional Development Program Coordinator
Boise State University Extended Studies
Phone: (208) 426-3713
Address: 2950 Magic View Dr., Ste. 188, Meridian, ID 83642

Facebook Link
K-12 Twitter Link