About the Osher Institute
Endowed by the Bernard Osher Foundation, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Boise State University is a membership-based lifelong learning program that offers a wide variety of college-level, non-credit offerings for intellectually curious adults over age 50. The best part? No homework or exams! The Institute’s offerings are presented in fall and spring semesters and are taught by Boise State faculty and other community experts.
There are over 120 Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes located in colleges and universities across the country. We are the only one in Idaho.
Benefits of Membership
Studies tell us that people who are involved in lifelong learning and social engagement are healthier and happier. Being an Osher member allows you to engage with other lifelong learners, exchange ideas, and participate in offerings that cover a wide range of topics including music, history, medicine, technology, and more. See what’s happening this semester on our Browse Curriculum page.
Membership fees are $35 for a semester and $70 for a full year. All Osher members receive a membership packet with a Yanke Building parking permit and personalized name badge before their first class begins. Membership also includes access to register for offerings and a subscription to our monthly e-newsletter, Osher News.
The Osher Institute at Boise State University follows a semester-based academic schedule. Our offerings are organized by lectures, short courses, seminars and workshops, special events, and special interest groups (SIGs).
- Lectures: One-time presentations on a variety of subjects. There is no additional cost for members to attend lectures, but registration is required. Members may bring a non-member guest when space is available. Contact Osher staff prior to the lecture to see if there is room.
- Short Courses: Range from two to six weeks in duration. Short courses meet once or twice each week in two-hour sessions. Prices vary and are listed in our catalog. Open only to Institute members.
- Seminars and Workshops: Designed for members interested in taking a deeper dive into the subject matter, typically through reading and instructor-led class discussion. Seminars and workshops tend to have smaller enrollments and more sessions. Open only to Institute members.
- Special Events: Unique one-time opportunities that can include field trips, tours, and our annual Spring Social and Winter Celebration social gatherings. Open only to Institute members.
- SIGs: Member-led groups that meet outside of regularly scheduled programming. Our most active SIGs include Hiking the Foothills and Foreign Films at The Flicks. Open only to Institute members.
All Institute offerings are available on a first-come, first-served basis, so early registration is strongly encouraged. There are four ways for you to join, renew your membership, and register for classes:
- Register online on the Osher Registration Page. Payment can be made by Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. Please view the Helpful Registration Tips PDF for additional online registration help.
- Mail your registration form to the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Boise State University, 220 E. Parkcenter Blvd., Boise, ID 83706-3940. Download and complete the Osher Registration Form PDF or use the form in the catalog. Registration must include payment.
- Call Extended Studies Customer Services at (208) 426-1709. Please have your credit card ready for payment.
- Register in person at the Yanke Family Research Park, 220 E. Parkcenter Blvd., Boise.